Do you spend a lot of money each year on a gym membership to use their weights? The Bowflex 552 SelectTech adjustable dumbbells are not like traditional dumbbells. With traditional dumbbells you’re required to unscrew the spin lock each time you want to add or remove weight plates. This can be a big problem if you need to stop repeatedly during a workout. This can affect your momentum and negatively impact your workout routine.
Most of you know of friends who have cancelled their gym memberships and decided to work out from their very homes. Seeing that the economy is rough and gym memberships can eat into a sizable chunk of your hard earned money, working out from home isn’t really such a bad idea.
Also working out in a gym may not be the best route for many of you who might lack self confidence as it can end up being a demoralizing experience. For most part, you could take one year’s worth of gym membership dues and create a comfortable home gym that will actually last you for decades.
Buying the Right Dumbbell Set
When it comes to making the decision on the type of adjustable weights you want to include in your gym, there are a lot of factors to consider. The price of the system, the type of exercises you’d like to be able to do and the space you have available for the unit are the most important ones to tackle.
Once you start looking into dumbbell equipment, the risk is often paying too much for it. However with Bowflex SelectTech 552, you’re in good hands. Unlike scores of other names flooding the industry, these adjustable dumbbells actually deliver on the promises they make. (see lowest price here)
A great adjustable dumbbell that is sturdy and reliable, it also packs in pretty impressive specs that any fitness expert will vouch for. Investing in this kit is a smart decision to make when the focus is to enjoy a great strength workout without spending tons of money on space consuming and unnecessary equipment.
What is the Bowflex SelectTech 552 exactly?
This dumbbell set by Bowflex features an innovative dial system that allows the user to easily add or remove weights by simply turning a dial. You can start off using five pounds of weight on each side of a dumbbell, then gradually increase the weight up to 52.5 pounds
The SelectTech 552 has 15 different weight sets into one sleek and stylish package. To change the weight to a different resistance, you just need to turn the dial at the end of each weight and lock the new weight. The locking mechanism is a special feature absent from other adjustable dumbbells in the market which basically ensures the locked weight plates are positioned to not separate from the handle.
Featuring safety coated weights and a strong steel construction, the 552 dumbbells come equipped with a textured rubber grip and ergonomic shape. These handles will provide comfort during a workout and can help to prevent wrist injuries. I really like this guy because it has been popular for many years and actually made our top rate dumbbell list that we reviewed.
Adjusting Your Weight
You can change weight load from 5 lbs all the way up to 52.5 lbs. Weight can be increased in 2.5 lb increments for the first 25 pounds after which the increment is increased to 5 pounds per change up to the maximum of 52.5 lbs. This basically allows you to build upon higher weight overtime that comes in handy.
The product also comes with a DVD – “Secrets of the 4 Step Rep” that has a step by step guide on how to use the Bowflex best.There are over 30 exercises with 80 variations, which can be done using the dumbbell that include squats, lunges, dead and abdominal lifts, chest presses among others. And surprisingly the DVD is actually quite helpful in making sure you know the correct and safe way to do the exercises.
Available Stands For It
There is also the option for additionally purchasing the Bowflex stands which aren’t expensive and It is recommended for correct positioning to avoid any strains on the back. And of course it is an excellent space saving solution for you.
Lastly these adjustable dumbbells come with a 2 year warranty on all parts, a 5 year warranty on the weight plates and an additional 1 year warranty on labor. This is great insurance in the rare event of a malfunction since this device is known for its durability.
Benefits of Using a Bowflex SelectTech 552
1. Instantaneous change in weight load with the unique dial system:
- With just a turn of the hand, you can switch weight resistances in seconds. The fact that it doesn’t use plates loaded weights with collars means you save on precious minutes between exercises. This is a great improvement since there is no interruption with the momentum of the workout and muscle gain isn’t negatively affected.
- The dumbbells also provide an added feature to offset weight selection which basically allows users to choose different weights on either side of the dumbbell. This is important when exercises require the wrist and forearm to be supinated.
2. Great for both men and women:
- It is a great package for both men and women since it is designed to pack in a great range of weight resistances, from ultra light to heavy. The fact that they start from the 5 lb weight resistance make it perfect for women to use since the lighter weights are definitely more appropriate. As a note however, the same feature is a problem for the heavy lifter who might desire heavier weight loads of over 90 lbs.
3. Durable and sleek design:
- The steel weight plates also have great durable molding in plastic that doesn’t make a clank or a scratch when set down. The manufacturers have also made sure this dumbbell is resistant to corrosive rust in the event of a sweaty workout. The handle is most definitely a favorite because of its ergonomic design that makes for a comfortable grip which feels natural while lifting.
- Some of the other adjustable dumbbells have the handle situated in the middle of the dumbbell itself which makes it difficult to do exercises like overhead back and triceps presses but not the Bowflex. The weights are sturdy and there is no looseness in the plates eliminating any shakiness during the workout. The Lastly these dumbbells are seemingly indestructible- drop them and see what I mean.
4. Space efficient :
- These dumbbells of 15.75 x 8 x 9 inches15.75 X 8 X 9 inches effectively replace an entire wall of individual dumbbells. They are space efficient and once you’re done with your workout you can easily keep them back in your closet, not that you have to since the sleek industrial design won’t look out of place in your apartment. They would fit snugly into a corner atop your sleek Bowflex stand.
What Consumers had to say about the 552 SelectTech Dumbbells by Bowflex
Some consumers who purchased these weights felt that they were too long, making it difficult to perform certain exercises. These weights measure in at sixteen inches of length.
Some users did not like the fact that they were only able to adjust the weights in 2.5 pound increments, preferring the five pound option that’s available with other brands.
Another issue is the fact that these dumbbells can only be adjusted up to 52.5 pounds. While a beginner will certainly find this weight challenging, individuals who are at an advanced level may need dumbbells that offer weight range flexibility.
These weights come with a two year warranty for all parts. If you purchase the dumbbell set with a stand, that bundle comes with a thirty year warranty.
How Consumers Rated the Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
These weights have been a bestseller for Bowflex for the past few years. While these dumbbells may not be the best choice for advanced athletes who are looking for a weight range that can challenge them, this weight limit is an ideal choice for people who are looking for durable dumbbells that will last them for years.
These dumbbells are designed to make your workouts more convenient, effective and faster because of the quick weight adjustment system. This system removes the need for a large variety of dumbbells and makes working out a more streamlined process. These weights received a rating of four out of five stars for quality, ease of use and pricing.
With the ingenuity worked into the design and engineering of a Bowflex SelectTech 552, it makes it hard to criticize the device.
Fundamentally, it might seem a little expensive in comparison to other dumbbells that offer a wider weight range. But it’s proven quality may well be worth that extra cost.
It also falls short for heavy lifters who do not have an option to extend the weight resistance over 52.5 lbs. Another observation made by users is the length of the dumbbell which is an approximate 16 inches (end to end) but overtime users have reported getting used to the size.
However, comparing these cons against its precision weight selection that is tailored to any body, noiseless plastic molding, a space efficient unit, a reliable warranty and a comprehensive guide to a number of exercises, it most definitely comes up on top.
It currently holds a very high star rating and hundreds of customer reviews and with a reasonable price tag, this is a must have for anyone looking for adjustable dumbbells for their home gym.